Friday, February 24, 2012

The Oscars: Always & Forever MBT

As I mentioned yesterday, the Oscars are almost upon us.  I love the Oscars - I have since I was a little girl.  I love the gowns and the glittery jewelry, I love seeing so many huge stars in one room.  Of course, as I've gotten older, and especially as I've begun a career in the entertainment industry, my feelings about all the hoopla, for better or worse, have definitely changed.  But I will always love film and filmmaking and filmmakers, and I will probably always dream of one day accepting my own statuette.  In the meantime...

I just turned in my ballot, and I'm feeling really good about my picks this year.  The only one I'm not sure about is Documentary Feature.  The only nominated film I saw in this category is PARADISE LOST 3: PURGATORY*, and all the pundits/critics/"experts" are divided.  I noticed a slight lean towards the "feel-good" UNDEFEATED so I went with that one.

As for the Best Picture nominees, I've seen eight out of nine.

After I saw MIDNIGHT IN PARIS in June, all year long I kept saying, "MIDNIGHT IN PARIS is my favorite film of 2011 - you have to see it!"  I loved the magical elements and the dreamy whimsical-ness.  I loved that it was an original script.  I loved the nostalgia.  We also had just wrapped a project about Hemingway at work, and it was great fun watching another actor's take.



And then, about 6 months later, I saw THE ARTIST.  I wasn't sure what to expect - when I first saw the trailer I thought it was a joke.  When everyone started talking about it I thought, "OK, this is one of those films that only film-snobs love, but everyone else will find tedious."  Well, I don't consider myself a film-snob and I found THE ARTIST anything but tedious.  I loved Jean Dujardin (have you seen what he's up to next?), and OF COURSE Uggie the dog.  I loved how wrapped up I got in the story, and how little the lack of dialogue mattered.  The film-snob part of me (I admit there is a little bit in there) also loved the little details - the authentic aspect ratio, the authentic credits which showed Peppy Miller rising in the ranks, the great locations (for example, the scene where they're talking on the steps in the Bradbury building), etc.


I love that both MIDNIGHT IN PARIS and THE ARTIST were made for less than $20 million.

Most of all, I loved that both films surprised me in some way or another.  For someone who works in the business, it is rare for a film to come along that surprises and delights me the way these two did.

As I said, I've watched the Oscars for many years, and there have been quite a few times in which I didn't agree with The Academy's choices.  If either of these films win this year (everyone is predicting THE ARTIST will take it), I'll be happy.


If you haven't had a chance to watch all the contenders, don't you worry.  Here's all you need to know (in two parts):

Part 1:  MONEYBALL, THE HELP, TREE OF LIFE, EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS all in 2:38.

Part 2:  THE DESCENDANTS, THE ARTIST, HUGO, WAR HORSE all in 2:11.

"Puppy!"
That's exactly how I felt, kid.


I do have to say that I'm a little disappointed that the final HARRY POTTER installment didn't receive more love.  Wasn't the whole point of opening up the Best Picture category to include films with broader audiences?  Instead, TREE OF LIFE - a film for the snobbiest of film snobs - slips in instead.  Don't get me wrong - I thought TREE OF LIFE was absolutely gorgeous, but purely photographically.  It hands down should win for Best Cinematography, but it doesn't belong in the Best Picture race.  I also think Fassbender should have been recognized - not only was he haunting and mesmerizing in SHAME, he was in everything this year.  I suppose there's always the MTV "Breakout Performance" award.  *sigh*

Who are you rooting for this year?  Which snubs are you most upset about?  What delicious Oscar-themed foods are you making for your Oscar party?  Let me know in the comments!!



*PARADISE LOST 3: PURGATORY was produced for and aired on HBO, my employer.  The opinions expressed in this post (and my entire blog) are mine and mine alone, and do not necessarily represent those of HBO.

No comments:

Post a Comment