Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Winning Emmys: It's My [Place of Work's] Best Thing

I work for HBO.  I love my job, and I'm not just saying that because this is a public forum - I really do.  There are so many great things about it, the most important being that I'm part of the behind-the-scenes team, which is what I moved here for!  Also at the top of the list is seeing the shows we work so hard on get recognized during awards season.  Of course the Crème de la Crème in the television world is the Emmy, the award given by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.  Because the main show is televised and can only be so long, many of the prime time awards are given out a week prior at a separate ceremony called the Creative Arts Awards.  This year HBO won a total of 19 awards, more than any other network.  This is the 10th consecutive year HBO has been able to make that claim.

In past years, shows I've worked on directly have taken home most of the HBO statues (i.e. TEMPLE GRANDIN, GREY GARDENS, YOU DON'T KNOW JACK, etc.), but this year my colleagues got the glory.  So congrats to everyone who worked on...

"Boardwalk Empire" (8 wins)
Photo credit: popsugar.com


Click here for a brief, but interesting interview with Martin Scorsese (who is so much one of My Best Things that I've wished for years he would adopt me as a niece and I would call him Uncle Marty and we would make amazing pictures together).

















MILDRED PIERCE (5 wins)
A Getty Images photo from socialitelife.com




Lesbihonest, isn't Guy Pearce just generally amazeballs?  I mean MEMENTO?  L.A. CONFIDENTIAL?  PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT?  Some of my all-time favorite movies!!


















"Game of Thrones" (2 wins)
Photo credit: Getty Images



In case anyone is wondering, the other win for GOT was for Outstanding Title Design.  And if you don't know what that means, just watch this.  (And thisAnd this.  Though the award is for the design, not the music.)

















Other HBO winners included CINEMA VERITE (which I did work on directly - woot!), "Lady Gaga Presents the Monster Ball Tour", GASLAND, and "A Child's Garden of Poetry".

And just for fun here's a few pictures of me and my coworkers at the HBO After-Party:







Damn, we are good-looking.  And now, back to work on the shows you'll hopefully see win lots more awards at next year's Emmys!

No comments:

Post a Comment